|ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
||The Alexandria Transit Company's DASH system provides safe, reliable, and courteous bus service within the City of Alexandria, and connects with Metrobus, Metrorail, Virginia Railway Express, and all local bus systems. DASH serves all of the Alexandria Metrorail Stations and the Pentagon Metrorail station during morning and evening peak periods. DASH's name symbolizes our commitment to the citizens of Alexandria, Driving Alexandria Safely Home.
||We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Under the direction of the Marketing and Communications Manager, the Communications Specialist is responsible for the development of social media strategy and campaigns, internal and external content creation, speech writing and special event support for the General Manager, Assistant General Manager or other Senior Staff presenting to community groups, elected officials, local leaders, and other general event coordination.
- Supports social media outreach by overseeing DASH Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts. Creates content, postings, and articles that support the public image of DASH.
- Creates and implements social and digital media plans for campaigns and activations.
- Tracks social media performance metrics, researches methods for measuring the impact of social media programs and monitors new trends in social media and digital communication as they pertain to transit.
- Writes, and/or assists with writing, news releases, statements, advisories, op-eds, website content and other external communication materials.
- Provides special support to the General Manager, Assistant General Manager and Chairman of the Board of Directors as needed for special events, press briefings, speeches, educational talks and similar events.
- Maintains historical archives on DASH and related media articles.
- Works closely with Marketing and Design Specialist to develop innovative strategies for content and produce internal and external marketing/communication products.
- Monitors web communication and works closely with Marketing and Design Specialist to ensure online content stays up to date on key issues.
- Researches sponsorship and speaking engagement opportunities; works with Marketing and Communications Manager to propose and coordinate DASH participation.
- Develops PowerPoint presentations for use by the organization with a special focus on the needs of the General Manager, Marketing and Communications Manager, and other Senior Staff for presentations to the public, stakeholders, elected officials, special interest groups, etc.
- Cooperatively and efficiently performs other related duties and tasks as assigned.
- Plans, schedules and executes events for various marketing/communication campaigns.
- Organizes and coordinates team of DASH Ambassadors during events, as needed.
- Develops creative activities and initiatives to promote DASH messaging.
- Researches conferences and event opportunities; works with Marketing and Communications Manager to propose and coordinate DASH participation.
- Responsible for coordinating and setting up attractive branded displays using DASH booth materials and promotional products.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong writing and editing skills with a focus on application to multiple audiences.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in using Google Drive/Sheets/Docs, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Excellent customer service and customer relations skills.
- Ability to identify and implement continuous process improvement.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage time effectively and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to think creatively, highly driven, self-motivated, highly organized.
- Strong attention to detail while working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure; professional and positive attitude.
Emotional, Psychological and Physical Requirements:
- Make independent decisions within scope of responsibility.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Concentrate on priority tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Deal with occasional long hours and high levels of stress.
- Extended periods of sitting in an office environment.
- May travel locally to attend meetings, events, and other related activities.
- Ability to lift up to (<50 lbs).
- Occasional attendance of lengthy meetings.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in communication, marketing, public relations or a related field.
- A Minimum of 2 years of previous related experience.
- Extensive experience in professional writing, copy creation, content creation and editing required.
- Professional experience with Google Drive/Sheets/Docs, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram required.